Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Smart SMART boys!


William has always had an attention to detail and amazing memory of songs. 

Lately he likes to say the title and artist (if he knows) of our local Christian radio station within a few short seconds of it being played. I should get their play list and put all the songs on a cd and then test him and tape it. It's amazing!! 

This was today right before lunch. Here in the picture I asked firefighter William to move his trucks to the end of the table so we could eat lunch. He had them all in front of him playing before I asked. One by one he drove them  and faced them all in the same direction -- one lined up next to another so nice and neat!

The other day Rick had to run into work to drop something off quick. So the boys and I were sitting in the car waiting. William was talking about firetrucks so I said would you like to draw some? He said, sure!  I handed him a notepad and a pen. He started to draw a said he drew a big fire (it kind of resembled a sun, it was a circle in the middle of the paper with a lot of lines all around it, it was a cool fire" He said, ugh mom, I don't think I know how to draw firetrucks, will you draw me some? I said, sure! I started to draw a very basic ones and then said hmmm... How many should I draw? He said eleven!!! I said okay 11 it is. Well in the process of drawing them he said this is taking long time, I think I'll have my paper back. So I handed him the notepad not having drawn all 11. He started counting and kind of chucked and cheerfully said, hey! This isn't right! (He kind of chuckled again) Mom!! You only drew 9, I wanted 11!! You're missing 2. I look at him and said whoops! Obviously I thought well wait not you asked for the paper back...... Then I thought wait a minute, forget all this reasoning... William just not only counted to 9 but 11, then he realized 9+2 = 11 AND/OR 11-2 = 9!!!! I praised him like no other and STILL am shocked!! We practice addition and subtraction like once a week, but this was amazing!!! 



image.jpeg

Here we have sweet, tender hearted and thoughtful Ben. I asked him to move his firefighters to the end of the table and he said, shhhh, the fire fighter is talking to his wife, and we need to be quiet!! He does this with baby toys too or animal toys too, or even pretend people we have in the house. This was the first time the wife came up and it made me wonder if it's because I ask Ben to wait or not be screaming loud when I'm talking to Rick or people on the phone. 

Side note for Ben.... I have been working on writing numbers and letters both the number itself as well as the number spelled out and upper and lower case letters. We have flash cards and a book both made by the same company, so their pictures are similar. I didn't put that together until Ben was working on one of the flash cards and said HEY!!! (He ran off and came running back with the book) he opened the book and said, It's a pair!!! He held the similar items next to each other. I praised him and he got all giddy and running around and was excited for himself. It was neat to see him make the connection, neat for him to want to show me and then neat to see him be proud of himself for what he had discovered, and neat too for him to watch me watch him give him a reaction. 


No comments:

Post a Comment